We are using more energy as we spend more time at home. Make sure you using your energy wisely and efficiently…..if you haven’t had your boiler serviced make sure you get it down now to maximise your savings and ensure you do not have a breakdown in the very cold weather. A service will make sure you appliance is healthy and running efficiently at all times. Technicians are carrying out servicing, repairs and upgrades/replacements with social distancing being observed.
When was the last time you gave your oil heating system a health check to ensure your system is operating at its peak efficiency so that it is ready for the winter months?
You may have been putting off that boiler service, possibly for years. The boiler is working. The water is hot. Why bother?
- The good news is that oil boilers and cookers are reliable and long lasting. The unwelcome news is that a poorly installed and maintained appliance will cost you extra – every day of its life. A service by an OFTEC Registered Technician will ensure that your boiler or cooker is efficient, safe, and in top working order to face the worst that winter can throw at us.
- We in the Province are still behind the rest of the UK in our use of energy-saving controls, though new homes now have condensing boilers and separate controls for heating and hot water fitted as standard, plus radiator thermostats that keep each room at the temperature you choose. Controls can be fitted to older systems too, and will pay for themselves in lower fuel bills and a cosier home. When your service engineer calls, ask him about modern controls that can be fitted to your system to cut heating costs and add to your comfort. The new Building Regulations introduced in NI now mean that all new or replacement oil boilers must be condensing – this is good news as it means oil can compete with natural gas and renewable technologies with an efficient and reliable product – all the local Northern Ireland manufacturers have condensing appliances available.
- All fuel-burning appliances must be checked each year to ensure that they are safe and that emissions of flue gases are kept to a minimum. Every winter, Carbon Monoxide, the ‘silent killer’ claims lives that might have been saved by a visit from a competent heating engineer. Over the years, flues and ventilation can become blocked, so don’t take a chance with your family’s safety!
- A thorough service should always include a tank check. Plastic tanks are tough and durable, but their pipework and fittings should be checked for signs of damage or leaks. A broken sight gauge could allow oil to leak out, pollute your garden and possibly contaminate a river or stream. For extra protection, if you live near a watercourse you should install an integrally bunded tank, which has an outer skin to contain any leakage.
- Finding the right technician – make sure that you choose a trained professional to service your heating system. All OFTEC Registered technicians are trained in modern techniques, and can offer you heating advice and an expert service. For information on oil heating, a list of appliances, or to contact a Registered technician in your area, visit OFTEC’s website www.oftec.org or phone 01473 626298.
Home Heat Costs
Annual cost of Space and Water Heating for an average size three bedroom house (£) stg.
The figures in the following table are representative of dwellings that were built to comply with 1980’s building regulations & SAP standards, upgraded. Sunderland Tables December 2022 in Northern Ireland based on previous 3 months fuel costs.
|FUEL||Northern Ireland £Stg|
|Phoenix Nat Gas (DD)||1823|
|Firmus (Home Energy Tariff)||3643|
|Electric Radiators - Single Tier Tariff||4654|
|Air Source (Rads)||2498|
|Air Source (Underfloor)||2066|
- *900 Litres of fuel delivered to 2725 litre storage tank.
- Figures show estimated annual cost based on fuel costs for previous three month period.
Source: Sutherland December 2022 – Sutherland Tables and copyright.